Monday, February 14, 2011

Book It!

I always seem to have more books on my reading list than I do time to read them. I find this to be a common thread among parents, especially those with little ones like me. The trouble with this is that my reading list keeps growing longer (for there are always books that I find to add to it) and it seemed as though, when I did have a few quiet moments to enjoy a book I never had that one book that I was enjoying right handy. So, I started starting new books. Crazy, I know, but this is how it works. I keep one book in the car with me to read while in the pickup line, waiting for my son at school, during which time my youngest is usually sound asleep (in warmer months we walk to school, but with single digits it is just a bit too far for my littlest one), and I keep a second by the bedside, for evening reading. There is a third book next to the rocking chair for when I am rocking and nursing the wee one, and a fourth in my husband's vehicle for when we are on long car rides (this one is read aloud by whoever isn't driving, so we both enjoy it together). Every moment of quiet time I have, however short it may be, I am able to pick up a book and enjoy it. Remarkably, I haven't felt the least bit fragmented by my multiple-books-at-a-time project. In contrast, I actually find it refreshing in the way that I don't feel obligated to read through an entire chapter or so at a time, instead giving myself permission to pick up and leave off wherever opportunity allows, thanks to the help of some scrap paper bookmarks. Here's what is being read around here at the moment:

No comments:

Post a Comment